The Washington Times, November 17, 1907, pages 1-2.

Page 1.

Pennsy Trains Now Run Into Union Station

Last to Leave Old Depot, Went Out Just After Midnight.

With the departure of No. 80 for New York at 12:30 this morning, the Pennsylvania railroad severed its connections with the historic Sixth stree station. This morning all passenger trains, including those of the Chesapeake and Ohio, the Southern, Atlantic Coast Line, and Seaboard Air Line are coming into the new Union Station.

As in the case of the Baltimore and Ohio the occupancy of the new terminal by the Pennsylvania and other systems was without special ceremony. The officials of the various roads have been too busy arranging for the removal to devote any time to the preparation of a celebration in honor of the event.

For the last ten days the work of removal has been in progress, and practically all of the paraphenalia of the old station is now in the new terminal. The Pennsylvania ticket office and baggage room occupies a portion of the concourse for the present. The dining room and a portion of the woman's waiting room is thrown open to the public and will be used as a general waiting room until the apartment intended for that purpose is completed.

First Trains In and Out.

According to the schedule, the first Pennsylvannia train to pull out of the new station was No. 56, which left for Philadelphia at 8:55 a. m. in charge of Conductor W. Baughman, Engineer J. B. May, and Fireman F. B. French. Engine No. 5624 was attached to this train.

The first train in was No. 797, from New York, which was due to arrive at 7:12 a.m. Engineer Charles Forbes and Fireman J. McDermott were on

(Continued on Second Page)

Page 2

Pennsy Trains Run Into Union Station

(Continued from First Page.)

the engine, No. 5086. The last train to arrive in the old station was the Baltimore newspaper train, at 4 a.m.

Always a busy place, there were evidences of unusual activity at the Sixth stree station last night. Between the arrival and departure of trains the furnishings of the station were being removed to the new terminal, and it was said that it would be about 4 o'clock before the work of removal would be completed.

The Sixth street station stands on Government ground, and by the terms of the act under which it was erected, reverts to Uncle Sam upon its abandonment by the railroads. For the present it will be left in charge of a watchman, its use by the Government, it is said, not yet having been determined upon.

Scene of Garfield Assassination

The station will always remain an object of reverence to the American people, as it was the scene of the assassination of President Garfield by Charles Guiteau. On May 2, 1881, the President was shot as he was passing from the front room into the larger waiting room. He was accompanied at the time by James. G. Blaine, then Secretary of State.

The entrance of the railroads into the new Union Station marks the culmination of five years' endeavor and the expenditure of $20,000,000, $3,000,000 of which was contributed by the District of Columbia. For all practical purposes the station is completed, though it will be several months before the interior decorations are in a finished state. The approaches to the station have been recently improved, and officials of the Engineer Department of the District say there is now no necessity of passengers getting in the mud on their way to the station from the street cars.

Among the important measures to be brought to the attention of Congress by the Commissioners at the coming session is the act granting to the street railways the right to extend their lines to the terminal. Should this be passed at the beginning of the session it will be a year before the tracks can be installed.

Pennsy Trains Now Run Into Union Station, The Washington Times, No. 4903, Sunday, November 17, 1907, pages 1-2. (PDF)