War of the Rebellion Serial 70, Chapter XLIX, Page 245-247.

No. 32.

Report of Lieutenant Colonel John N. Frazee,
One hundred and fiftieth Ohio Infantry, of the defense of Washington.

FORT STEVENS, D. C., July 16, 1864.

SIR: I have the honor to make the following report of operations against the enemy near Fort Stevens, D. C., on the 11th and 12th instant.

At 11 o'clock on the morning of the 11th the enemy commenced the attack on the picket-line in my front (which line was picketed by Company K, One hundred and fiftieth Regiment Ohio National Guard), who fell back slowly fighting the enemy, losing 1 man wounded, who has since died. The enemy's line of skirmishers continued to advance until they were within a distance of 150 yards of our immediate front and 50 yards of our right. They held their ground for a while, being covered by an orchard, when we opened fire upon them with the following shots: One 30-pounder parrott percussion-shell, when they fell back about 300 yards farther; two shell (percussion) were thrown 1,254 yards which exploded in their midst; five percussion-shell were then thrown into a grove, distance 1,050 yards, all burst and drove the enemy back; two 30-pounder Parrott percussion-shell were then thrown at a body of cavalry on the pike, distance 2,000 yards, which struck and exploded in their midst, and scattered them. At 4 p. m. I directed two 30-pounder Parrott shell to be fired at enemy in rear of old target, distance 1,256 yards, which dislodged them. We fired one 30-pounder Parrott shell at Carbery's house, which was filled with the enemy's riflemen; the shell struck and exploded; also one 30-pounder percussion, distance 1,600 yards, fired at the enemy in the road in front of old target, burst and did good execution. At 6 p. m. the enemy advanced again and stationed themselves behind the old target, distance 1,256 yards. Six 24-pounder fuse-shell were fired at them, which exploded and caused them to evacuate; this closed the firing for the day.

On the morning of Tuesday, July 12, we opened upon the enemy with three 30-pounder Parrott percussion-shell, directed at Carbery's house; distance, 1,078 yards. The first exploded from some unknown cause at a distance of five yards and killed one of our skirmishers; one passed to the right and exploded; the third fell 20 yards short and exploded. Three shots (30-pounders) were directed at Rives' house; distance, 1,050 yards, which dislodged a number of the enemy's riflemen. At 11 a. m. two solid shots were fired at old camp, distance, 1,950 yards, at a body of infantry, which apparently did good execution. Four percussion-shells were then fired at Rives' house to dislodge the enemy, all of which passed over. Four 30-pounder percussion-shells were fired at Carbery's house, 1,078 yards, striking and doing good execution. One 24-pounder shell was fired at carriage shop, distance 2,075 yards, which struck on Seventh-street pike. Four 30-pounder Parrotts were fired into the grove to right of pike, distance 1,50 yards; effect not visible. At 6 p. m. General McCook ordered every gun brought to bear upon Carbery's house to dislodge the enemy's riflemen, who were holding our skirmishers in check. I fired ten 24-pounder shell, ten 30-pounder Parrott, one 8-inch howitzer, two 10-inch mortar, which set the house on fire and obliged the enemy to fall back, and our skirmish line was enable to advance. Eight shots were then directed to Rives' house, 1078 yards, by order of General McCook, and all passed through. Five 30-pounder shells and four 24-pounder shot were fired at carriage shop, distance 2,075 yards, all falling among the enemy's cavalry and causing them to retire. One 24-pounder shell, two 30-pounder percussion-shell, and one 24-pounder shot were fired at the enemy in column en masse in field in front of fort, distance 2,200 yards, causing them to deploy in line of battle. They advanced and two 30-pounder shell were fired at them in ravine back of Carbery's house, distance 1,200 yards, which exploded and caused them to retire.

The only casualty in the fort was 1 surgeon wounded in leg (name not known).

The troops garrisoning the fort were composed of Company K, One hundred and fiftieth Regiment Ohio National Guard, 78 men, Captain A. A. Safford; Thirteenth Michigan Battery, 79 men, Captain Charles Dupont; 52 convalescents, commanded by Lieutenant Turner, of Company K, One hundred and fiftieth Regiment Ohio National Guard.

I am pleased to say that the promptness with which all orders were obeyed reflects credit on both officers and men of this command.

I am, sir, respectfully, your obedient servant,

Report of Lieutenant Colonel John N. Frazee, One hundred and fiftieth Ohio Infantry, of the defense of Washington, War of the Rebellion, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1891, Serial 70, Chapter XLIX, Operations in Shenandoah Valley, etc., Page 245-247. (PDF)